The Divorce may hurt but the bill won't
Call us today for a free phone consultation: 561.655.6840
Payment Plans Available
Hablamos Espanol

My Spouse Is Not Following a Court Order. What Can I Do?

When you marry your spouse, you never think that one day the two of you will no longer want to be together. Unfortunately, it’s a real possibility.

A whole 21.6% of respondents in a study conducted by the Journal of Family Issues said that infidelity was what ended their marriage, making it the leading cause of divorce. Divorce can be a very tricky thing, and there are often a lot of legal affairs that come with it. This means that the court is typically involved.


Contempt is the most common violation of a court order. Common situations that lead to contempt are non-payment of ordered child support or alimony, not following a court-approved visitation agreement, and disregarding a court-ordered asset distribution. However, these actions must be proven to have occurred intentionally to be considered contempt.

What If My Spouse Is Not Following a Court Order?

Serious consequences can follow if a person is not following a court order. The consequences will depend on what the order or agreement is about.

The best option is to try to resolve the issue with your spouse first and as soon as possible. A mediator can be used as a negotiator to help you and your spouse come to an understanding. If this is not working, it may be time to consider hiring a divorce lawyer to have the order enforced by the court.

If you are going through a divorce and need divorce help, consider contacting divorce lawyers to get you through the process.

West Palm Beach Location

Affordable Divorce Center
1665 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd, Suite 105
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Phone: 561-655-6840
Fax: 561-296-6333
Maps and Directions

Get to Know Us

Affordable Divorce Center offers a low-cost alternative to resolving family law issues.

Boca Raton Location